Diet and sleep are important components in everyone’s life. There should be a perfect balance between the two, for your overall health. If you eat a healthy and balanced diet, you can prevent most of the life-style related health problems like diabetes, blood pressure and anxiety.
There is a famous saying “you are what you eat”.
What you eat not only influences your attitude. It also has directly influence on how you sleep. Diet and sleep are correlated with each other. Subsequently, it will be beneficial if you understand the importance of good sleep and balanced diet.
In the first place be aware of, how to go to sleep. You remain active in day time if you get a good night’s sleep. Everyone needs to have a look at your diet options if you experience troublesome or disturbed sleeping. There is a misconception that a full stomach can earn good sleep, which is wrong. The eating pattern should be followed as heavy in the morning, medium in the noon and light in the night.
Things to incorporate and avoid in your diet:
- Eat early: You should have your dinner at least two to three hours before you sleep. Full stomach will hinder your sleeping routine. By the time you sleep, the food should get digested.
- Avoid spicy and heavy food: You should always stay away from heavy, spicy food for dinner as these foods are known to cause heart burn and you will face difficulty to get sleep.
- Drink a glass of milk: A cup of warm milk induces sleep. You can also consider a cup of ice cream or a low fat dessert instead of milk.
- Have cherries: Cherries are rich in melatonin that helps inducing sleep. You can eat fresh or dried cherries just before you go to bed.
- Indulge in a light snack: Carbohydrates and dairy products are known to induce sleep. Dairy products contain tryptophan, a substance that helps to get sleep. There are various other foods that contain tryptophan like bananas, honey and oats.
- Don’t drink alcohol: Initially alcohol makes you drowsier, but later on you will have a very disturbed sleep.
- Avoid fats: People who tend to eat more fatty substances have difficulty in sleeping.
Secondly, recognize the importance of a balanced diet. A well balanced diet plays an important role in overall well being. You can remain active and energetic if your diet comprises of all the vital elements required for the conditioning of your body.
You need to add variety to your diet by incorporating several groups of fruits and vegetables. Though there are several opinions regarding what a well balanced diet should be, the basic facts remain indispensable. A well balanced diet has the required carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, vitamins and other essential nutrients. Plan for taking a colorful diet in a blend of natural foods and try to avoid or minimize the amount of processed or tinned foods.
Proper exercise routine coupled with a well balanced diet shows tremendous positive effect on your body and sleep.
A healthy and balanced diet transforms your body and mind, which helps you stay calm and comfort and keep you away from stress. All these factors contribute towards a good sleep at night.
Proper diet means sound sleep.